Athletics Zone Manager.
Athletics Zone Manager
The Athletics Zone Manager at Washington University is responsible for the care, and maintenance of all playing surfaces and grounds within the athletic complexes. As a member of the Focal Pointe team, and broader Wash U community, the successful candidate will embrace our shared high standards and work to provide a uniquely positive client experience. The campus at Washington University in St. Louis is ranked #2 in the nation by Niche research firm.
Duties and Responsibilities
- General care and maintenance of all-natural grass fields and synthetic fields.
- Schedule production work around games, practices and heavy school traffic times while also factoring in future weather forecasts.
- Communicate proactively, with multiple coaches and staff.
- Safely and professionally, operate and maintain reel mower, groomer, tractor, and other sports turf equipment.
- Groom the infield skin and maintain clean edge between turf and skin for baseball and softball.
- Game day set-up and take down. Prepare the athletic fields prior to games, handling of on-site issues during the game and cleanup afterwards.
- Along with other staff members, some weekend flexibility is essential when the University schedule dictates weekend games.
- Maintenance of other athletic facility areas including tennis courts and track.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Proactive communication with various clients, internal and external.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to balance the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Experience managing and motivating direct reports.
- Turf knowledge – Disease and pest identification and treatment; fertilization treatments.
- Pesticide applicator license preferred.
- Irrigation maintenance and repair knowledge preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Extensive physical activity. Heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects over 50 pounds.